Our new Love collection will be in stores this fall (November, to be exact), and it includes a full 1yd panel. We wanted to come up with a super simple project to help show off the Love panel that could also be used with any favorite 1yd feature fabric.
Finished quilt measures 43” x 51”
Panel print (1yd)
Inner border (1/3yd)
Outer border & binding (1yd)
- Trim your panel (or 1yd feature print) to 32” x 39”.
- From the inner border print, cut 4 strips 2-1/2” x WOF.
- From the outer border print cut 5 strips 4” x WOF for the outer border. Cut 5 strips 2-1/4” x WOF for the binding.
- Attach one of each inner border strip to the sides of the panel, trimming the strips as necessary to match the panel cut. Then attach the top & bottom inner borders in the same manner. The panel with inner border should measure about 36-1/2” x 43-1/2”.
- Take your outer border strips and sew them together, end to end, using a diagonal seam. (Julie @ Jaybird Quilts goes over this method in her binding tutorial here. Just scroll down to the “How to Piece Straight of Grain Binding”, which outlines the same process.)
- Attach the left and right outer border pieces first, then the top and bottom, working from the long border strip and cutting as you go.
- Piece the binding strips together, end to end, as you did above.
- Elizabeth at Oh, Fransson has some great tips on Making a Quilt Sandwich to finish your quilt.
- Once your top is all quilted up, attach the binding and you’re all set! Here's an example of a finished version, pieced by Ramona Burke and quilted by Angela Walters.
This super simple tutorial could be used with any fun feature print and small coordinates. We think Lesley Grainger’s Vroom collection would make a super fun version for a little boy – we’ll share pics soon!